-->

Navigator

6.21.2012

I Hate Art

Here's a theory on why I do not like art: Long story short, I've been exposed to art my entire life (well, so has anyone else, but for me, it's been in-my-face exposed).

  • Grew up learning how to draw ("Learn to draw" books). — Dad enforced
  • Arts-'n-crafts in daycare, while being babysat, in summer camps, at home during free time, in school during indoor recess, on vacation, at friends' houses.  — Authority enforced (grandma, mom, teachers, babysitters, daycare teachers, friends' parents)
  • Mandatory art classes in grades 1-8. — Gov't enforced
  • "Art appreciation" classes in middle school (grades 7 and 8), my elective as opposed to sports, string instruments or marching band (this is in addition to government-enforced art classes). 
  • Saturday Morning Art Classes (CCAD) from 3rd to 9th/10th grade. (Yes, they were all free for me.)
  • Art museums, exhibits + festivals scattered throughout my life  — Grandpa, and occasionally Dad, and other times school, enforced
  • Drawing classes throughout high school (grades 9-12), even extra drawing-painting classes.
  • Many teachers allowed or encouraged me to make artsy-fartsy creative projects as opposed to writing papers (for History, Science, English, and/or any other subject not normally concerning art).

That said, I love design. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment